stopping over for a holiday in iceland and wanting to savour a quick byte off its capital, reykjavik? then here’s some interesting things to fill up your itinerary.
1. stop by harpa and take a picture of your shadow against reykjavik’s impressive newly built concert and performance hall.
2. take a break and indulge in a cuppa joe or tea at the nation’s version of starbucks, te & kaffi or during the summer, take in the leisurely pace of the city at an outdoor cafe in austurvöllur. there are loads of them on the streets of vallarstræti and pósthússtræti.
3. shop at leagavegur and buy something from iceland’s very own GAP store, 66 north.
4. head to 10-11, a supermarket and 7-11 chain that sells essential items.
5. visit hallgrimskirkja church and then head up to the tower and bask in the magnificent aerial view of reykjavik that you’ll get from there.
6. head to any one of reykjavik’s bars, the deutsche bar or the laundromat cafe, a chain of cafes in europe with a branch in reykjavik where you can do your laundry and have a meal/drinks at the same time.
7. take a late night walk around the city. it’s safe and well-lit.
8. there are many art galleries and museums to visit in reykjavik. reykjavik art museum is a good starting place, followed by the nordic house, national museum of iceland and the reykjavik maritime museum.
9. enjoy a nice dip in any one of the city’s geothermal pools and hot tubs. the laugardalur valley swimming pool is a good place to start.
10. try a famous bæjarins beztu pylsur hot dog stand about 500 -600 metres opposite the harpa concert hall. they are reputed to make the best ‘dogs’ in iceland. i indulged in one after an airwaves concert one night. ask for extra onions and sauces.